Friday, August 17, 2012

PHOTOCRAFTS: From plastic bags to functional purse




Saying no to plastic bags has become a habit. Tucked in my purse is a re-usable bag that I bring with me when I shop. However, there are times when it is unavoidable to bring home a plastic bag or two. Being in the field of planet care myself, it has become a passion to walk the talk and to do my share for my Earth.

An outlet to my creative juices has been to make crafts and at one point I was obsessed with creating beads out of discarded plastic bags. There was an attempt to melt these but that was too messy and too combustible and with the irritating smell besides.

Researching on possibilities, I stumbled into the process of fusing plastic bags into a fabric material. The idea had me so excited that I mistook Friday for Saturday and got fired up by Thursday to get my materials ready for the experiment. It is a simple process using iron and wax paper.

So on a Friday night, barely out of my work clothes, I started snipping, arranging, ironing. The objective for the evening was just to experiment on the fabric. But the result got me worked up all the more. Possibilities swum in my mind and I ended up taking out  my toy sewing machine to work on a possible purse design.

The final output still needed more polish but it brought that sense of satisfaction in me. Now, I need not worry about throwing away plastic bags. The possibilities with this newly discovered hobby are limitless and the biggest bonus is that it is a way to help the planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment